Saturday, March 13, 2010

N5 and falling in like...

Wow...what a difference. I went to Chapel Hill on Thursday for my post op appointment and although a little "mushy", I was healing up fine. My doctor asked when I wanted to schedule activation and my response was the sooner the better. His response was even better..how about today. He called the Audi and was told to send me right over.
This activation was so different. After my first transplant, I felt let down by the experience. My audi at the time spent a grand total of 20 minutes with me and sent me on my way. This time, it was a 2 hour visit and I came away a lot happier. I am now sporting two N5 processors, even though my first implant is a Nucleus Freedom. It is so cool..I have a remote control that works with both. No more snatching the processor off to try and find the right mix..they stay in place while I play with the volume and sensitivity.
I find the compact size easier to deal with and it uses only 2 batteries (no rechargeable ones at this time..still waiting for fda approval). The plug for my cables is more discreet and in a better location.
It's more compact so it hugs the head more and the coil is shorter and less noticeable. It is also bluetooth compatible which led me to buy a device and new cell phone today. It's going to take a while to fine tune things, but I like it already. It is way better than using the neckloop..less interference and better sound.
All in all..I am a happy camper for the moment. Just wish the swelling would go away fast and I really miss blowing my nose...
Don't mean to be gross..but I can only blow "gently" now and that does not work well with a sinus problem...but..the alternative is an air pocket..and that I have had before with the first surgery...
Later all..it's almost bedtime..

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I read your entire blog. I have sensorineural loss in both ears but can get by pretty well if I'm watching the speaker. It's certainly possible I'll be a CI candidate at some point, so I really enjoyed reading your experiences. And I was amazed to discover that the Wal-Mart I was in this afternoon is probably where you work. (I live in River Bend.) Anyway, thanks for writing so well and so completely about all aspects of the CI experience. -jim

Alan said...

I too have a Freedom internal and Nucleus 5 external. I am considering a second implant. Are you happy you did it? I'm afraid of being completely without sound though my unimplanted ear is pretty much gone I get a little something.