Wednesday, April 25, 2012

I was looking back over my posts for the last few years and realized something really important was missing. About a year after I was sent to Chapel Hill for my second implant I had my "yearly" check up with my ENT. We got to talking and he thinks he came up with a diagnosis. Somehow, possibly from an upper respiratory infection, he thinks I have acquired an autoimmune disease called Cogan's syndrome. It is rare, but he has treated others. The sad thing is that it can be treated and hearing CAN be saved. So, why did I lose my hearing? Because it is so rare, and there is no "test" for it, most doctors have not heard of it. The symptoms can also mimic other diseases. It has taken my hearing and has also attacked my eyes. The eye problems actually started before the hearing loss but I could not connect them until I knew all the facts. I have had chronic Iritis since 2005. What that means is that the iris becomes inflamed and small particles form that obstruct vision. Left untreated, it can mimic cataracts, lead to actual cataracts, glaucoma and blindness. Treated, it can lead to cataracts (I have them, but my doctor assures me they are minor and nothing to lose sleep about) and glaucoma. I have quite an array of eye drops that I take and also a drug called Plaquinol that was first invented to cure malaria..one of the side effects is that it helps with inflammation and has been used to treat autoimmune diseases like lupus and rheumatoid arthritis. The funny thing about auto immune diseases is that they often travel in pairs..I guess they get lonely and invite a friend to come and stay. In my case, I also have Sjogren's syndrome. Dry eye, dry mouth, dry skin, etc. No cure for either, but we treat the symptoms.
On the bright side, since I live in the south where mosquito's thrive and go forth and multiply, I won't contract malaria.. but I might lose some of my vision in 10 years or so..
Life is a constant Catch-22..but it is my life, and I am living it my way.

http://www.drugs.com/health-guide/cogan-s-syndrome.html

No comments: