Thursday, December 18, 2008

Well, what an interesting day! Activation is complete and I have been assimilated. Yeah, right....
Bob and I drove down to Wilmington, not a big chore for me as I napped most of the way. We picked up my oldest daughter and after a really nice lunch headed to my ENT's office. He checked my incision, and looked in my ear and tried to tell be about a "gap" he had discovered somewhere in my ear but didn't fix at the time of the implant as the surgery took such a long time. He is going to monitor it and if needed, reinforce the "gap" using cartilage from my ear lobe. Not sure what that is all about as I had a really hard time speech reading him.
Bob and my daughter, Kimberly, got it, but it was one of those days that I didn't really have time to ask or understand. After passing the surgeons examination I was sent down the hall to see the CI audi and get my implant activated. I have to admit I was really happy when she started things and I could actually hear the beeps. We spent well over an hour just setting the processor to give me sound and not too much volume. No real mapping, that will come in two weeks.
The world sounds strange now, synthesized is the best word I can come up with. Voices all sound like computers inhaling helium and although I do have an easier time speech reading, I have to admit I am upset that I can't understand better. I know that will come in time, as I have not been deaf that long. It is just frustrating.
I did have one bright, shining, moment tonight while watching TV. I have my CC on all the time but it doesn't always show commercials. I was watching one and even without CC, and no face, just the voice, I was able to understand every word! I know it was just one voice, spoken at just the right tone and enunciation, but it gives me hope that I will get to the point that I won't have to speech read or use CC.
Hard to believe that Christmas is next week. I do have all my shopping done, which amazes me under the circumstances, and the presents are all wrapped. Just no tree yet, silly me has procrastinated as usual. That will go up this weekend. Both my girls will be home for Christmas, as well as my granddaughter. I am looking forward to it and just hope I can hear and understand them all.

No comments: